Help Locating Loved Ones In Japan

Sen. Dan Akaka advises those wanting to find out about missing relatives or friends in Japan or elsewhere in the tsunami zone to contact the following:

  • If you have concerns about a specific U.S. citizen in Japan, e-mail or call 1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444.
  • If you have concerns about a specific U.S. citizen in the tsunami zone outside of Japan, e-mail
  • If you have concerns about a Japanese citizen, contact the nearest Japanese Embassy or Consulate.  In Hawaii, the Consulate can be reached at 808-543-3111.

Helpful online resources:

  • United States Embassy in Japan website
  • U.S. State Department emergency page
  • The Japanese Embassy’s website will have updated information as it becomes available, including many documents translated into English
  • The Ministry of Foreign Affairs website will also post updated reports in English 
  • Google has launched a 2011 Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami Crisis Response page providing real-time updates on the situation
  • U.S. Forces Japan reports that all personnel have been accounted for, and there are no reports of injuries.  Call 1-800-342-9647 for more information.