Representatives of more than two dozen nonprofits appeared at a Honolulu City Council hearing on Wednesday to cheer on a budget proposal that would restore about $1.2 million in funding to such organizations after the money was cut during last year’s budget negotiations.

The proposal to restore those funds is part of a broader effort to support an array of non-profits.

The additional money is just a sliver of the city’s overall $2.15 billion budget for the 2015 fiscal year. But staff from the organizations that provide services to an array of groups — including the homeless, troubled youth, and the disabled — told council members that the money would make a big difference.

The City Council approved the funding even as it trimmed $13 million from Mayor Kirk Caldwell’s proposed operating budget on Wednesday.

This is all part of the ongoing give and take of budget negotiations. The budget must still go through a third and final “reading” before it goes into effect in June.

Organizations that will benefit from the restoration of funding they lost last year highlighted what the resources will allow them to do.

Caroline Hayashi, executive director of the Waikiki Community Center, said that the extra $20,000 that was allotted for the health center would allow a part-time case worker who assists poor seniors to become a full-time employee.

“We have seniors that have multiple, multiple issues. They are food-insecure, they have medical problems, they are in danger of becoming homeless,” Hayashi told Civil Beat.

Alan Johnson, president of Hina Mauka, a drug and alcohol treatment center, said the extra funding would allow his 48-bed treatment facility to add 16 more slots.

The nonprofit funding is part of the Grants-in-Aid program, established last year under a charter amendment resolution proposed by Council Chair Ernie Martin.

The Grants-in-Aid Advisory Commission, which vets grant applications, recommended to the City Council last year that 41 nonprofits receive $5.1 million in funding for the 2014 fiscal year.

But Martin, in a controversial move, later rejiggered the list to allow 11 additional nonprofits that weren’t on the commission’s original funding list to receive money as well. To do that, he transferred 25 percent of the allocations that had been destined for the original 41 nonprofits to those he added to the list.

At the time Martin promised to work to restore the money that was diverted away from the 41 organizations.

This year, he also inserted another $1.9 million into the Grants-in-Aid budget to fund arts and culture organizations. The Grants-in Aid Commission did not recommend a single arts or cultural organization for funding for the second year in a row. But Martin said that it is important that they receive support.

Martin and others also said that the Grants-in-Aid ranking system needs to be reformed because it is skewed toward organizations that provide direct aid services in the community.

Vicky Takamine, who heads PA’I, a Native Hawaiian arts organization, said that her group appears set to receive $75,000 in the 2015 fiscal year on top of the group’s $400,000 operating budget.

She praised the council for acknowledging the importance of arts organizations. “What a sad place it would be if we had excellent streets and perfect sewers, and no music and no dance and no celebration of the diverse cultures that make up Honolulu,” she told council members.

The Caldwell administration has opposed City Council changes to the budget. Earlier this month, Pamela Witty-Oakland, director of the Department of Community Services, told council members that the department doesn’t have the staff to administer the additional grants.

About the Author