“The proposed new OCCC will modernize the jail by taking advantage of new cost-savings technologies and improve correctional services and safety for both inmates and staff,” the department said in the release.
“Everyone knows we need to replace OCCC and this is the first step to a much-needed new facility,” said Department of Public Safety Director Nolan Espinda in the release. “The next step is to reduce the list by applying criteria that includes the cost to develop as well as proximity to the courts and services. The final list will go through a stringent EIS process where public input will help us identify the best location.”
The possible locations include:
• The current site in Kalihi.
• Near the site of the Halawa Correction Facility.
• Near the site of the animal quarantine facility in Aiea.
• Two sites in Kalaeloa off of San Jacinto Street.
• A Kalaeloa site off of Saratoga Street.
• A Kalaeloa site off of Roosevelt Avenue.
• A Kalaeloa site off of Coral Sea Road near the Barbers Point Riding Club.
• A site near the Mililani Technology Park.
• Two sites in Waiawa near the H-2 freeway.
Stay Up To Date On The Coronavirus And Other Hawaii Issues