Don Horner was appointed to the Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation board of directors twice by two different mayors and was its finance chairman from 2011 to 2014 and 2015 to 2016.
He was the chief executive officer of First Hawaiian Bank and later chairman of the board until his retirement 33 years after he began with the bank. He had a history of helping with education initiatives, both public and private. He also served on the Hawaii Board of Education from 2011 to 2016, most of that as chairman.
- Instrumental in helping end school Furlough Fridays in 2010.
- Former chair of the Legislature‘s Reinventing Government Task Force that examined the Department of Education, among other government agencies.
- Former vice chairman of the department’s Interagency Working Group that implemented key education reform laws.
- Served on the Superintendent’s Advisory Council.
- Advisory board member for Teach for America.
- Board member at Iolani School.
- Board member at Mid-Pacific Institute.
- Advisory council member at University of Hawaii at Manoa Shidler College of Business.
- Advisory council member at UH Manoa School of Nursing