The former Honolulu city council member said he is “relieved that this assault upon my character and reputation is over.”

The domestic abuse case against former Honolulu City Councilman Ikaika Anderson was dismissed with prejudice on Tuesday, which means it cannot be refiled.

Anderson’s attorney, Thomas Otake, said his client is innocent.

“Any reputational harm is undeserved, and we hope the public will not judge him negatively because he was falsely accused,” Otake said in a statement.

Anderson also released a statement, saying he was wrongfully accused. Anderson was charged in May after being accused of injuring his girlfriend in Waimanalo.

“I am relieved that this assault upon my character and reputation is over, and I look forward to putting it behind me,” he said. “I have and will continue to support the health and well-being of my former girlfriend with compassion.”

According to a police report, a 34-year-old woman told the Honolulu Police Department that Anderson had physically abused her, reportedly causing “pain and visible injuries.”

Anderson served on the City Council from 2009 to 2021 and ran an unsuccessful campaign for lieutenant governor. He had been tapped by Gov. Josh Green to lead the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands but a state Senate panel voted to not recommend his nomination.

What it means to support Civil Beat.

Supporting Civil Beat means you’re investing in a newsroom that can devote months to investigate corruption. It means we can cover vulnerable, overlooked communities because those stories matter. And, it means we serve you. And only you.

Donate today and help sustain the kind of journalism Hawaiʻi cannot afford to lose.

About the Author