My recent Civil Beat column Chad Blair: What I Learned Renewing My License At The DMV continues to get a lot of hits, and I’ve heard from a lot of folks about their experience.

It includes a reader who showed up at a local airport to fly inter-island but discovered the Transportation Security Administration would not accept temporary driver’s licenses.

If you or someone you know is preparing to fly with a temporary license, please bring backup valid identification such as a passport.

Here’s what the TSA website has to say in part about this:

“If you’re traveling with an expired license or passport you may still be able to fly. Acceptable forms of ID cannot be more than 12 months past the identified expiration date.”

“If you have misplaced, lost, traveling with an expired ID, or simply do not have an acceptable form of ID, our officers will ask you for two secondary forms of identification, with the following information:

  • name
  • a photo
  • address
  • phone number
  • Social Security Number
  • date of birth

“The TSA officer will review all documentation provided in order to verify your identity. To minimize any potential delays, you are encouraged to provide as much information and documentation as possible. If your identity cannot be verified with the provided documentation, you may be required to go through an alternative identity verification process, which includes collecting information such as your name, current address, and other personal information, and asking personal questions to help confirm your identity.”

Something to consider...

Civil Beat is a small, independent newsroom that provides free content with no paywall. That means readership growth alone can’t sustain our journalism.

The truth is that less than 2% of our monthly readers are financial supporters. To remain a viable business model for local news, we need a higher percentage of readers-turned-donors.

Will you consider making a tax-deductible gift today?

About the Author