“Double-digits.”
That’s all Honolulu Police Commission Chairman Max Sword will say about how many people have applied to become the city’s next police chief.
Monday is the deadline for candidates to submit their applications to run the 20th-largest police department in the country.

Sword said that so far, the total number of applicants is more than 10, but a final tally won’t be announced until the commission meets Wednesday.
“We’re in the double-digits in terms of applications,” Sword said. “I don’t know who they are and I have not looked at any of the applications.”
Former Police Chief Louis Kealoha retired at the end of February after being notified by the U.S. Department of Justice that he and several other officers were part of a wide-ranging public corruption investigation.
The Police Commission gave Kealoha a lucrative payout as part of a deal that also made clear that he was resigning in “good standing.”
Sword said the commission has not yet decided when it will reveal the names of candidates who are vying for the job. He also would not say how many candidates had applied from within the department.
GET IN-DEPTH
REPORTING ON HAWAII’S BIGGEST ISSUES
What it means to support Civil Beat.
Supporting Civil Beat means you’re investing in a newsroom that can devote months to investigate corruption. It means we can cover vulnerable, overlooked communities because those stories matter. And, it means we serve you. And only you.
Donate today and help sustain the kind of journalism Hawaiʻi cannot afford to lose.
About the Author
-
Nick Grube is a reporter for Civil Beat. You can reach him by email at nick@civilbeat.org or follow him on Twitter at @nickgrube. You can also reach him by phone at 808-377-0246.