Honolulu will once again have to wait to learn the fate of disgraced former Honolulu City Councilman Rod Tam.

Tam was scheduled to be sentenced Tuesday morning after pleading guilty to 26 misdemeanor and petty misdemeanor counts, including theft and falsifying city documents in November.

But Judge Randal Shintani delayed the sentencing to August 16, in order to take into account the eight new charges to which he pleaded no contest Tuesday.

The new charges were brought on Monday by the Department of the Attorney General, which charged Tam with an additional eight misdemeanor counts of campaign spending violations. The attorney general is accusing Tam of using campaign funds for personal use, filing false reports about his use of campaign monies and failing to report some donations until “well past the reporting deadline.”

Tam’s attorney, Nelson Goo, would not allow Tam to speak with reporters after entering his plea. Goo described the new charges against Tam as “very defensible and triable issues,” but said the no contest pleas were entered to “get rid of this thing.”

Asked if Tam would go to jail, Goo said: “Not if I can help it.”

The Honolulu Ethics Commission led an investigation into Tam’s meal reimbursements in 2010, and found that Tam received $22,000 from the council’s contingency allowance over a three-year period. It found he paid less for some meals than he charged the city, and got reimbursed for some personal meals.

Tam was ordered by the commission to pay $13,700 in monthly interest-free installments of $380.56. The attorney general then pursued a criminal investigation into Tam’s use of city funds.

Until his City Council term expired in December 2010, Tam served as an elected official in Hawaii for more than three decades. He had stints as a state senator and representative, and ran unsuccessfully for Honolulu mayor last year.