The man accused of threatening to cut off Rep. Tulsi Gabbard’s head will be sent to Washington, D.C. where he’ll face charges in federal court there.
Last week, federal magistrate Judge William McCurine Jr. in San Diego found probable cause to believe Aniruddha Sherbow committed the crime. He denied bail for Sherbow and ordered that he be sent to Washington, D.C.
Sherbow has not yet been transferred, C.C. Gwathmey, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Marshal’s office, said on Friday. She was unable to give specifics on the transfer due to security reasons.
Sherbow, who has pleaded not guilty, has been in custody since his arrest in Mexico on Aug. 27.
Bill Miller, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney in Washington, D.C., said no court date has been set.
Sherbow was charged Aug. 30 with “transmission of threats in interstate commerce,” a charge that carries a sentence of up to five years in prison. He allegedly sent Gabbard a series of harassing emails — including the one threatening to decapitate her.
Authorities also say he left a violent, profanity-laced diatribe on her cell phone, in which they say he told Gabbard he’d track down, beat her face into a pulp and kill her.
Sherbow has allegedly been emailing, calling and otherwise threatening Gabbard since 2011, when she was a Honolulu City Council member. Sherbow has gone public with his threats in recent months, sending copies of the emails to numerous media outlets as well as the FBI and law enforcement officials.
Gabbard has proved to be a popular young congresswoman since taking office in January. She’s become a regular on national television news talk shows and is sought after by local media for interviews and appearances.
She has not publicly commented about Sherbow since moving to Washington, D.C. Her spokeswoman, Heather Fluit, declined comment about the case Thursday night.
Sign up for our FREE morning newsletter and face each day more informed.