A state inspector told Matson last year that its pipeline was leaking molasses from the same spot that broke open earlier this month and dumped 233,000 gallons of the sugary goop into Honolulu Harbor.

Department of Transportation Deputy Director Randy Grune said he sent a letter in July 2012 to Matson Navigation, notifying them of the leak, according to an Associated Press story.

AP’s Audrey McAvoy reported that the letter asked Matson to tell the department when the pipeline was repaired.

Matson senior executive Vic Angoco said the company responded by inspecting the pipeline twice but didn’t see any molasses leaking, the story says. Grune says the inspector was looking for storm water discharge.

The spill has killed more than 26,000 fish and damaged the coral reefs.

Matson has assumed responsibility, but government officials say it’s too early to talk about fines and other possible consequences.

Read the latest Civil Beat report here

Check out the complete AP story on today’s press conference here.

Read the DOT’s July 31, 2012, letter to Matson here.

Nathan Eagle

 image

Honolulu Harbor. (Joel via Flickr)

Trusted news when you need it most

Now more than ever, local news is a vital community resource: connecting neighbors, uplifting voices and sharing information that empowers people to make informed decisions in their everyday lives. Our work is especially critical in times of crises. 

You can help power our coverage and nonprofit mission with a tax-deductible donation of any amount. Mahalo.