From the Hawaii Tribune-Herald:
An advocacy group for victims of sexual abuse is asking the state Department of Human Services and Catholic Charities to explain how children were continually placed in the care of Jay Ram, accused in a lawsuit of abusing boys he fostered and adopted.
The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, which helped five men previously under Ram’s care file the lawsuit against him, said Thursday it is requesting Human Services and the charity do an independent investigation of the processes that allowed dozens of boys to be placed with the former Big Island resident.
“It is time for action,” Joelle Casteix, SNAP western regional director, said in a press release. Read more.
And here’s the latest in other neighbor isle gov’t, biz, culture and politics:
Pay hikes planned for Hawaii County officials
Review: Kauai police shooting justified
World premiere of Kilauea documentary at Palace Theater
Travel website names Makako Bay in its Top 10 dive sites
A modern day Kauai paniolo seeks assistance
Tourism chief expresses concerns
Maui island planning officials elect to take ferry after crash
EPA official tours Kona reuse site
Mala Wharf’s closed for repairs, forcing businesses to move operations
Leeward planners return site visit bill with negative vote
Rename of pool and field after Shiraishi and Amoral mooted

Photo: Screen shot, April 18, 2014. (Hawaii Tribune-Herald)
—Chad Blair
GET IN-DEPTH
REPORTING ON HAWAII’S BIGGEST ISSUES
What it means to support Civil Beat.
Supporting Civil Beat means you’re investing in a newsroom that can devote months to investigate corruption. It means we can cover vulnerable, overlooked communities because those stories matter. And, it means we serve you. And only you.
Donate today and help sustain the kind of journalism Hawaiʻi cannot afford to lose.