A Big Island prosecutor plans to dismiss charges against several protestors who were arrested blocking construction of the $1.4 billion Thirty Meter Telescope atop Mauna Kea.

The Associated Press reported Friday that Prosecuting Attorney Mitch Roth said he plans to drop the charges against about 10 people who had been charged with trespassing.

The rest of the 31 protestors arrested had been charged with obstruction of government operations.

Roth told the AP that the trespassing cases need further investigation and that he could re-file the cases later.

Click here to read Civil Beat’s coverage of the Mauna Kea controversy.

How much do you value our journalism?

Civil Beat focuses exclusively on the kind of journalism most at risk of disappearing – in-depth, investigative and enterprise coverage of important local issues. While producing this type of journalism isn’t cheap, you won’t find our content hidden behind a paywall. We also never worry about upsetting advertisers – because we don’t allow any. As a nonprofit newsroom, we rely on donations from readers like you to help keep our stories free and accessible to everyone. If you value our journalism, show us with your support.

 

About the Author