Candidate for Office of Hawaiian Affairs At-Large Trustee
OccupationRange safety technician
ResidenceHawaiian Paradise Park
Community organizations/prior offices held
1. What do you see as the most pressing issue facing Native Hawaiians? What will you do about it?
Full reparation of the 1893 illegal overthrow and full inventory of lands confiscated after 1893. I would create a task force to accomplish this.
2. What would you do to change how OHA is run?
The Board of Trustees needs to listen to the issues of their island people, learn to listen to each other, as they are the reasons they were elected to bring about change for the betterment of the Kanaka Maoli.
3. What would you do to bridge the gaps within Native Hawaiian community over issues like construction of the Thirty Meter Telescope or development of energy projects?
The State of Hawaii needs to fully acknowledge the rights of Kanaka Maoli, their rights to worship, when to worship and where they choose to worship. No gap, no telescopes.
4. Do you support the construction of the Thirty Meter Telescope atop Mauna Kea? Why or Why not?
Of course not. Build and desecrate elsewhere, not in Hawaii.
5. Do you support OHA providing financial aid to Mauna Kea protestors?
6. What role should the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands play in reducing homelessness?
Provide lands and build for the betterment of all Kanaka Maoli.
7. Why do you think Hawaiians are disproportionately represented in our prisons and jail? What can be done about it?
My opinion, doing the crime justifies prison time.
We need to build prisons in Hawaii for Kanaka Maoli, so their fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers, aunties, uncles, children, spouses, cousins, their “kupunas/tutus” may visit. So they can see the tears and sadness they caused and hear the voices of their families.
8. What are your views regarding Hawaiian self-determination?
One major view, Hawaii belongs to Kanaka Maoli. Seek.
9. What other important issue would you like to discuss here?
I leave this to Kanaka Maoli voices in our islands.
Sign up for our FREE morning newsletter and face each day more informed.