The Hawaii National Guard is not among the options being discussed to reopen the road up Mauna Kea so construction crews can reach the site of the planned $1.4 billion Thirty Meter Telescope, Gov. David Ige said Monday.
Protesters placed boulders and rock walls on the road last week, forcing work vehicles to turn around. It’s the second time an attempt to start construction has been thwarted by people who want to protect the mountain from future development because it’s a sacred place to Native Hawaiians.
The road has been closed since June 24. Ige said he is working with the University of Hawaii, law enforcement and others to come up with a plan to start construction while ensuring the access route remains safe to workers and visitors to Mauna Kea.
The governor said an announcement will be made when the plan is ready.
Gov. David Ige at a Monday press conference: National Guard not envisioned for Mauna Kea.
Cory Lum/Civil Beat
Sign up for our FREE morning newsletter and face each day more informed.