A 53-year-old convicted felon armed with a shotgun was shot and killed by Honolulu police early Thursday in Nanakuli following a seven-hour standoff that started when officers tried to serve a protective order.

Three officers and a police dog were shot. One officer, a veteran with 21 years on the force, was being treated for a serious leg injury. The other two were treated at the scene.

The Honolulu Police Department has not identified the dead man. It was the third death during an HPD standoff with an armed person in the last two months.

In early June, a 55-year-old Waipahu man, a corrections officer, was shot following a six-hour standoff with officers and after he lunged at them with a large knife. In late June, another man was shot by officers after he stabbed a police dog with an arrow during a seven-hour standoff.

Deputy Police Chief John McCarthy holds a press conference after an officer-involved shooting in Nanakuli on Thursday morning. Anthony Quintano/Civil Beat

At a news conference, HPD Deputy Police Chief John McCarthy declined to release the name of the dead man or the names of the officers who fired or were injured or how many shots the man or the officers fired.

McCarthy did release the name of the Kevlar-wearing police dog who was shot. Hunter, a Belgian Malinois, was scheduled for surgery Thursday.

Police said the suspect was a convicted felon who could not possess a gun. McCarthy did not identify the registered owner of the weapon, or the caliber of the shotgun.

The incident began when HPD officers tried to serve a temporary restraining order on the suspect at his home on Mokiawa Street at about 8:30 p.m. When officers arrived, they noticed the suspect was armed and urged him to drop his weapon but he refused to comply for hours.

“Officers issued multiple orders for the male to exit but he refused and barricaded himself within the home,” McCarthy said.

Specialized Services Division officers arrived shortly before midnight and HPD continued through the night to negotiate with the man. At 4:20 a.m., the man pointed the shotgun at the officers and shots were exchanged, McCarthy said.

“This is not the outcome that we had hoped for, but something we had trained for,” he said.

News organizations reported the man killed was Gavalynn Mahuka who lived with family members on Mokiawe Street.

A protective order filed Wednesday afternoon by Mahuka’s family stated that he had threatened to beat them and had left knives in their shoes. Mahuka had been seen recently by a cousin walking around with a sawed-off shotgun.

Thoughts on this or any other story? Write a Letter to the Editor. Send to news@civilbeat.org and put Letter in the subject line. 200 words max. You need to use your name and city and include a contact phone for verification purposes. And you can still comment on stories on our Facebook page.

Support Civil Beat during the season of giving.

As a small nonprofit newsroom, our mission is powered by readers like you. But did you know that less than 1% of readers donate to Civil Beat?

Give today and support local journalism that helps to inform, empower and connect.

About the Author