Katherine Kealoha has signed a plea agreement in two pending criminal cases involving bank fraud, identity theft and drug trafficking charges, her attorney said.
Gary Singh, who represents the former city deputy prosecutor in those cases said she signed the deal at the Federal Detention Center, where she has been incarcerated since her conviction in a separate conspiracy case in June, Sunday morning.
As part of the plea agreement, Kealoha will plead guilty to three felonies, including bank fraud, in exchange for reduced prison time, attorneys involved in the case previously said.
Katherine Kealoha walks towards District Court for a hearing in late June. According to her attorney she signed a plea agreement on Sunday regarding additional charges.
Cory Lum/Civil Beat
In the bank fraud case, she and her husband, former Honolulu Police Chief Louis Kealoha, were accused of defrauding banking institutions, as well as the trust funds of children for whom Katherine Kealoha was a guardian. Katherine Kealoha also faced identity fraud charges in that case.
In another case, Katherine Kealoha and her younger brother, Rudolph Puana, were accused of running a prescription drug trafficking ring. That trial is scheduled for May 2020.
If the judge approves Katherine Kealoha’s plea deal on Tuesday, neither of those trials would happen.
Louis Kealoha and Puana were not part of her agreement, although he is also reported to be in negotiations himself, according to his attorney, Rustam Barbee.
Barbee said Friday that there is a “proposed agreement” but that there is “not a deal until it’s signed.”
Katherine Kealoha will sign her plea agreement again in open court at a hearing at the federal court before U.S. District Court Judge J. Michael Seabright on Tuesday, said Singh.
The Kealohas were convicted in June of conspiracy and obstruction charges by a federal jury for conspiring to frame Gerard Puana, her uncle, for the theft of their mailbox. Sentencing in that case is set for Oct. 31.
Sign up for our FREE morning newsletter and face each day more informed.
A critical time for local journalism . . .
Over 1,800 daily and weekly newspapers in the U.S. have ceased operations since 2004 — among them the Honolulu Star-Bulletin and the Honolulu Weekly. Studies have shown that when local journalism disappears, government financing costs go up, fewer people run for public office, elected officials become less responsive to their constituents, and voter turnout decreases.
Our small nonprofit newsroom works hard every day to present local news in a deep and transparent way, without fear or favor.
We also rely on donations from readers like you to keep us afloat. The more support we receive; the stronger, more sustainable our journalism becomes; the more accountable we are to you. Please consider supporting our small newsroom with a tax-deductible gift.