The pandemic has accelerated the decline of local journalism in thousands of small towns across this nation. But because of readers like you, we’re not letting that happen here. The stakes are too high. Our future is too important. Support Hawaii’s nonprofit newsroom today!
Civil Beat has raised $84,000 towards our $200,000 goal!
After a nearly seven-hour marathon meeting Thursday, the Hawaii Board of Education put off a decision on whether schools should still reopen as planned on Aug. 4.
Chairwoman Catherine Payne said she’ll likely hold a special meeting to consider a board member’s proposal to push back students’ return to Aug. 18.
“We will be meeting again as soon as possible to address the major issues in the testimonies that were presented today,” Payne said after the meeting, adding the board understands teachers’ and staff concerns over a need for more training on health and distance learning issues.
Thousands of teachers, principals and other school employees have urged the board to delay reopening, saying there is a lack of adequate guidance on health and safety protocols from the Hawaii Department of Education and state Department of Health.
Kaneohe Elementary School set its summer school classroom up to be socially distanced.
Cory Lum/Civil Beat
Public opinion on reopening school campuses by Aug. 4 has shifted dramatically in recent days.
By Wednesday afternoon, the Hawaii Government Employees Association, the union representing DOE principals and education assistants, and the United Public Workers union joined HSTA in calling for a delay.
HGEA executive director Randy Perreira said sufficient personal protective equipment remained an issue.
“Administrators, teachers and support staff are stepping up and making their voices of concern heard,” he said in virtual testimony to the education board Thursday.
Indeed, the outpouring of testimony from principals across the state was notable, especially because it is a group that largely shies away from making its opinions heard on controversial matters.
The letter, echoed by principals elsewhere in the state, pointed to a number of concerns in addition to health and safety. They cited low-income students’ ability to access digital devices and get connected for distance learning; the lack of mobile hotspots for low-income families; and the question of how students would access school meals when their schools are not providing on-campus instruction.
Superintendent Christina Kishimoto reiterated her commitment to open school campuses by Aug. 4 in a short video message released earlier this week.
“I can assure you, all schools are outfitted for reopening,” she said on the video. “All schools have what they need to reopen safely.”
But judging from the 4,000 pages of testimony submitted to the Board of Education this week, many disagree.
“I believe the board should recognize and acknowledge the concerns.” — BOE member Dwight Takeno
The board spent two hours hearing from teachers and principals who were concerned because some live in households with inter-generational family members and immune-compromised relatives. And they said there is no clear guidance on a contingency plan should a student or staff member be stricken with the coronavirus.
“There are no perfect choices in this situation, but there are safer choices,” said Pearl City High science teacher Brandon Cha.
Board member Dwight Takeno introduced a proposal that the DOE push back the date students return to campus to Aug. 18 and that the first two weeks of the school year be all-distance learning.
“I believe the board should recognize and acknowledge the concerns … that guidance remains unresolved and unanswered,” he said.
Board member Bruce Voss, echoing a concern Payne had made earlier this week in a press conference with the governor, said he felt delaying that return would “arbitrarily kick the can down the road,” and harm high-needs, special education and English learner students who benefit from face to face instruction.
The board’s meeting occurred on a day Hawaii reported the single-highest total of new coronavirus cases — 55 — since the DOH first began tracking cases late February. A 26th death, an elderly woman on Oahu, was reported.
In a Thursday press conference, DOH Director Bruce Anderson said a continued rise in virus cases could impact schools reopening.
“We don’t have specific numbers we can use as triggers but if we continue to see a trend of more cases certainly this will be a major concern in opening schools,” he said.
Sign up for our FREE morning newsletter and face each day more informed.
We need your support . . .
Civil Beat readership has more than doubled in the past year. That’s incredible growth for which we’re so grateful.
But for a small nonprofit newsroom that provides free content with no paywall, readership growth alone can’t sustain our journalism. The truth is that less than 1% of our monthly readers are financial supporters.
To remain a viable business model for local news, we need a higher percentage of readers-turned-donors.
We’re almost halfway toward reaching our $200,000 year-end campaign goal. Will you consider becoming a new donor before the end of the year?