Even as COVID-19 cases increase, Honolulu will continue to allow social gatherings, funerals, weddings and more under an agreement between Mayor Rick Blangiardi and Gov. David Ige.

Oahu will remain in Tier 3 of the city’s reopening plan for the next four weeks, Blangiardi announced, even though it meets the criteria for the more restrictive Tier 2. The island’s current seven-day average is 58 cases and it has a test positivity rate of 2.2%.

“I would like to thank Governor Ige for his support and allowing the community to stay in Tier 3, which has a profound impact on our businesses, families and community,” Blangiardi said in a statement.

“We are focused on the broader definition of health and I believe moving back to Tier 2 at this point would have had a tremendous negative impact on the overall health and economic recovery, including the impacts on livelihoods, jobs and mental and emotional health.”

The mayor said the next four weeks are “critical” in determining whether the island will continue in Tier 3 or take a step backward.

He put the onus on the community to prevent the spread of the virus by wearing masks, social distancing and getting vaccinated.

Previously approved activities will continue, including permitted youth outdoor sports set to begin April 12 and permitted adult outdoor league sports beginning April 19.

 

Before you go

Civil Beat is a small nonprofit newsroom that provides free content with no paywall. That means readership growth alone can’t sustain our journalism.
 
The truth is that less than 1% of our monthly readers are financial supporters. To remain a viable business model for local news, we need a higher percentage of readers-turned-donors.
 
Will you consider becoming a new donor today?

About the Author