Three former Punahou School students have accused a former assistant girls basketball coach of sexual abuse. The male coach had previously been accused by two other students.

Punahou President Michael Latham wrote in a letter to the school community that the alleged abuse took place between 2004 and 2005, when the coach no longer worked at the school. Past news reports say the coach worked at the school from 2001 to 2004.

We are heartbroken by these accounts, and our hearts go out to the survivors,” the president said in the letter.

Latham said the school has reported the new allegations to the Honolulu Police Department and opened up an internal investigation, as well as offered counseling to those who came forward.

We hold ourselves to the highest ideals and are committed to reckoning with the past and bringing issues out of the shadows so that we can resolve them and provide counseling and support to survivors,” he said.

In 2018, when two former students came forward with allegations, the coach was investigated by the state Department of Education.

An Important Note

If you consider nonprofit, independent news to be an essential service that helps keep our community informed, please include Civil Beat among your year-end contributions.

And for those who can, consider supporting us with a monthly gift, which helps keep our content free for those who need it most.

This year, we are making it our goal to raise $225,000 in reader support by December 31, to support our news coverage statewide and throughout the Pacific. Are you ready to help us continue this work?

About the Author